Writing a Best Man's speech
Writing a best man’s speech is easier than you may think. In this short ‘manual’, if you like, we will take you through all you need to write a great best man’s speech.
Make a list of things that you need to include, such as:
· Dates - how long have they been together, how long have they known each other?
· Background of his wife to be. Although your speech is not about her, you must give her a paragraph. In this paragraph you say what she is like and how she makes your friend feel.
· What they want from life and their relationship.
These few points are essential. As funny as you make your speech you must add real events that have happened (the points above).
The next few points you need are down to you as the best man. You need to write down these points along with the ones above.
· A funny story. An essential in a best man’s speech. But there are a few rules you must obey. Firstly, ex-girlfriends are not out of bounds but no gory details, if you know what I mean. If you can, avoid them. Try to make the story between 150 and 300 words. Any less than this, and the story will be too vague, any more and it runs the risk of being too long and dragging to the extent of boredom. Finally the story has to be real, if you make it up, the groom and those who know him will find out, which could lead to a tricky situation.
· What is your friend like as a friend, as a partner to his wife to be, and as a man? For example is he a hard worker, romantic etc?
· The final two things you need to write are these. What has he achieved in his life, in love with his wife to be? And in his working life, school to work? And secondly how do you want to see him in a year’s time? Kids, a promotion at work, things like that. Also add after these points that you haven’t forgot about his new wife, but that you know they will be together for a lot longer than a year.
After you have got all this information there is a set way that you must write it and say it. If you follow the guide-lined layout, inserting your information, your speech will be close to completion. After you have finished writing in your information, give it to a friend to read. Watch them read it. It is harder to laugh while reading funny material so if they laugh, you have cracked it. If they like it, you are finished. The layout is below for you to follow.
· Firstly thank the groom for his speech, and the father of the bride for his. Also thank all for attending.
· Give up a toast for the pair of parents. And say thank you to them on behalf of the bride and groom.
· The bride and groom as a couple. What they are like together, etc.
· Tell the story of your friend, the funny one. Put real emotion into this to get the best laughs.
· What he is like, and what he has achieved. Love and life.
· The bride. What she is like and what impact she has made on his life.
· The final toast. Just a quick mention to wish them all the best.